Friday, September 26, 2008

Abolish ISA Candlelight virgil

Last night was my first experience participating in a candlelight virgil for the abolishment of ISA. It was a very good and fulfilling experience as I felt that I have played my part in trying to help people who are being imprisoned unfairly without a trial. It made me feel good that I now walk the talk instead of complaining behind the scenes, a cowardice act.

Met a Chinese couple friend and a Malay lady friend there. We kind of gave each other the big-eyed surprised look. Anyway, it was great seeing friends there lending support to a good cause.

However, I must say that I am disappointed that only about 300 or more people came in this city of millions. I know many of my Chinese, Malay and Indian friends are very angry with this ISA thing but why are they not there? Is it because generally good Malaysians are also very passive? It really contrasts when it comes to the racists demonstrations. Again, it might be bccause unreasonable people are usually very vocal and will do anything to attract attention or disrupt anything they deem not right to them.

My appeal to good Malaysians of all races, come out to be with your brothers and sisters and support each other to get rid of this oppressive ISA law. Let the Government know that we are really unhappy. They would not know if you do not come out to show your support. Think of all the sufferings these detainees go through and how their families are suffering. You might not be suffering today but who knows one day someone in your family might and support from good people is what you need. Do your part regardless of race and religion. The ISA has people of all races and religion.

We need you good people to come out.

2 comments:

lucia said...

hi. i was there too. i was the one who went around distributing yellow ribbons. did you get one?

actually 300 is consider good since this is a weekly thing. i understand last friday, there were only about 80 people, so this time 300 is consider good.

at the first anti-ISA vigil on 14 sept. there were over 400! that was the time GMI organised it immediately after the news of teresa kok being detained.

yesterday's vigil, a number of them were 'passers-by' who just happen to pass by. my colleague who was manning the sign petition stall told me several people approached her out of curiosity and asked what's happening and she told them we are holding an anti-ISA vigil and they immediately said they will join in!

i hope to be there every friday (if no transport problem).hipfj

MagM said...

Hi Lucia
Yes, I did receive my yellow ribbon, thank you. I really hope to see more people there and hope to be there too if health permits. I will also continue to send out SMS to my friends to encourage them to come. Take care and God bless you.