Monday, September 15, 2008

Why advertise for candidates who are Mandarin speaking?

I was reading some comments from http://test.chedet.com/che_det/2008/09/malay-unity-and-malaysian-unit.html#comments and came across this comment by Azlela saying the Chinese are racists because of their adverts.

Well, at one time, I thought the same even though I am not a Malay but am not Chinese educated. I thought they were being unfair to the non-Mandarin or non-Chinese educated. However, there came a time when I, myself had to employ someone who had to be able to speak Mandarin. It is not because I am a racist but because I have no choice as the job required the person to be able to speak Mandarin or some Chinese dialects. It then made me realise that I was wrong. There were times when I had to put "only those fluent in English may apply". All this is not because of racial discrimination but because of what the job requires. I also heard from a friend of mine that her husband (Chinese but English educated) faces problems at work in factories as these days most companies have some kind of dealings with China.

So, from here you can see that it has nothing to do with race because English educated Chinese are affected too. Sometimes, we have to think deeper before we make assumptions. Once, we realise the real reasons, we should find ways to improve ourselves and our children so that they will not face this problem.

Look at the market trend and go for it. Otherwise, we will be left behind.

No comments: